At Christmas 2017, the eleventh Holiday Heroes campaign made 6,575 families happy with boxes full of food donated for their merry celebration. It was all thanks to those who opened up their hearts, contributing food, money, or time for the success of our mission. A huge THANK YOU to the hundreds of good people and donor companies who pitched in our campaigns! We’re hoping their numbers will grow! Check out what a volunteer and a friend of ours says about motivation and how it feels to be a volunteer.
Next you will find out how you can join the ranks of the Holiday Heroes’ volunteers. YOU CAN BE ONE TOO!
For the various stages of the campaign we need many people with different skills and backgrounds—to answer our hotlines, process data on regsitered needy families, and coordinate volunteers’ efforts in our diverse initiatives. Whether you can spare a month or just a couple of days/hours daily to help, just get in touch—we’d be happy to have you onboard.
- Office Assistant. The most busy days for us at Easter 2018 will be March 1st (Thursday) to April 4th(Wednesday).. We need a volunteer to lend us a hand with office work. Our office is located in downtown Sofia and we are open Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 18:00 or a little bit later in exceptional cases. We are looking for a responsible person with a positive attitude, who is no stranger to Microsoft Office and is willing to tackle all kinds of phone calls to help the campaign. If you can spare the time to help us, don’ wait, drop a line or call us.
Kaufland supermarket chain in Sofia will have our volunteers distribute flyers to customers in 3 of its stores. Any customer who wants to donate can buy products of his or her own choice, or pick some from the menu we suggest. Volunteers will collect all donated food in shopping carts and box the products ready for shipping to our warehouse. We need at least two volunteers are needed for every supermarket to assist each donating customer, issue donation certificates, and pack the foodstuffs in boxes.
The stores where we plan to have food collection drives:
- Kaufland supermarkets
- Kaufland in Mladost district, Sofia – 3, Filip Avramov Str.
- Kaufland in Banishora district, Sofia – 1, Skopje Str.
- Kaufland in Studentski Grad district, Sofia – 20, Prof. Dr. Ivan Stranski Str.
Here’s the timetable of our “Choose, buy, donate” drive for all 3 Kaufland supermarkets (all dates are inclusive):
March 1st (Thursday)–March 28th (Wednesday), 2018 including.
- Weekday times: 18:00 to 20:30
- Weekend times: 11:00 to 16:00
Volunteers will be supported by the Campaign Coordinator and
- A Supervisor. The Supervisor’s work will include regular supplies of promotional materials for the food stores; answering volunteers’ questions; giving supermarket customers more information about the campaign when requested. If you are reliable and sociable, and can react in a flexible way to different challenges, you can become a supervisor in one or all of the stores included in the campaign. We’ll train you how to handle this easy. We’d like you to be available during campaign hours on all days of the food-collection drive at the store(s) you’ve chosen to supervise. Your help may be necessary just every other day, but we need you on standby all the way, to be able to deal with temporary complications.
For Easter 2018 we will be using the warehouse of our newest friends from K&M Style. At this final stage of the campaign we will store the collected food, and just before the holidays we will pack it and get it ready for delivery. The warehouse is located at 3, Yanko Angelov Str., Kazichene. The entrance is next to the exit of Shell gas station, where you will see the K&M signs in red. Please note that if you access the ring road via Tsarigradsko Shosse, to reach the warehouse you need to turn right just before Busmantsi–Kazichene bridge and pass through the junction to the other side of the ring road (the U-turn after the bridge/BERS is not allowed). Here is a link of the location: https://goo.gl/maps/CvDxHvFQGTK2.
Work at the warehouse goes through three phases:
- Storage of the foodstuffs collected in the supermarket drives (March 1st– March 28th, 2018) and regular counts and checks of product quantities.
- Preparation—assembling boxes, affixing box stickers, performing counts (March 27th – April 1st, 2018).
- Packing and home delivery of the boxes. Boxes will be packed at the warehouse every day between 08:30 and 14:00 (when is delivery start time). Then we clean the warehouse area and arrange products scheduled for packing on the following day (March 31st–April 1st, 2018).
We need on average 60 volunteers every day to make sure we can manage the planned daily numbers of boxes. Here’re some other ways you can help, in any of the following roles:
- Warehouse Supervisor – required availability, on average: 2 weeks, March 19th to April 1st, 2018. In the first week of this period the Warehouse Supervisor will be needed regularly at the warehouse to manage large corporate donations. He or she will help us monitor all incoming and outgoing shipments. In the most intensive week of the campaign, between March 26th and and April 1st 2018, the Warehouse Supervisor will monitor:
- the number of remaining pallets with food products
- the numbers of boxes ready for delivery
- numbers of boxes loaded on the specially designated van
The Warehouse Supervisor will report this information at regular times to the Campaign Coordinator.
If you want to fill that role, we’ll show you an easy way to handle your work. You’ll be a very important asset in our campaign.Their work will involve:
- Shipping Supervisor– required availability: 2 days March 31st–April 1st, 2018 including, between 08:30 and 17:00. Two people can cover this role.
- supervising the arrival schedule for each van delivering holiday boxes;
- checking boxes ready for shipping;
- supervising the shipping schedule and regularly forwarding information about it to the Warehouse Supervisor and the Campaign Coordinator.
- Box Assembly Line Supervisor required availability: 2 days March 31st–April 1st, 2018 including, between 08:30 and 15:00. The Box Assembly Line Supervisor will:
- ensure every volunteer performs their tasks;
- ensure each box contains a piece of all products required;
- ensure there are sufficient quantities of all mandatory products available within easy reach along the assembly line;
- follow the exact quantities of ready boxes;
- monitor the pallet(s) with boxes in order to submit information at regular intervals to the Shipping and Warehouse Supervisors and the Campaign Coordinator.
Packing and delivery, which have to be completed over just a week, are the most important part of our work in the Holiday Heroes campaign, in terms of planning and implementation. This involves different tasks— from finding donors, to organizing fundraising various events, to processing the data of thousands of people, all with that final one week in mind. If you have knowledge and/or experience with this type of work, and want to lend a hand, get in touch to discuss how we can join forces. You will have one week to assign all delivery addresses to volunteers, organize deliveries, and make adjustments in response to schedule changes. This role is very important and requires an experienced person (or at least someone who knows their way around Sofia and is well-versed in computers) ready to give away ten days of their time between March 26th and 30th, 2018. The two people who will be helping us in this leg of the campaign will be needed at our office in downtown Sofia between 9:00 and 18:00 on the days above.
At Christmas 2017 holiday boxes were delivered by dozens of volunteers who contributed their own time and cars. Similarly, deliveries at Christmas will take 2 days, March 31st and April 1st, 2018. Deliveries will start at 14:00 each day and end when all boxes scheduled for delivery on that day are distributed. On average this should take 2 hours, depending on the driver’s orientation skills and whether they’re using GPS navigation. We suggest that every volunteer with a car find a person to team up with. Their teammate can help with handover protocols, phone calls to families and the very deliveries. For maximum efficiency we’d need roughly 30 cars every day. If you feel like helping out in this crucial completion phase, just let us know.
In 2014 Holiday Heroes started a very successful initiative. We organized two sports events with more than 40 participating companies. They all made donations in competition entry fees, set up teams and spent two days playing volleyball (Day 1 and Day 2) and football with us to raise charity money. Last year in our Easter campaign we added bowling and kart racing tournaments in our sports calendar. And this year we had our first Laser Tag games and Streetball. The volunteers we need will mainly be responsible for distributing sports outfits to participants before competitions, keeping minutes of the games, and watching the time. Some fun, of course, is also guaranteed! If you are keen on any of these sports and want to help organize a championship, you’re more than welcome. Check out our Sports Events Calendar here.
We are a charity and our budget depends on donations, so we rely a lot on the free help of our volunteers. At every event we organize, we need someone to take on camera the best moments and the most dedicated donors and volunteers, and help us save more memories from our events to inspire more followers in the future. Whether you are an amateur or a professional photographer or cameraman, if you can spare a few hours for a good cause, we’ll be extremely thankful!
Our two mascots help ensure the success of all our events. Be our Santa Claus or Easter Bunny and help us bring on some cheer!
Last but not least, here’s something else you need to know. To guarantee sufficient attendance for our charity events and get the word out about where and when we’ll be collecting food, and how people can help, we need volunteers to distribute our advertising materials. We need this done on a regular basis just before events. If you are ready to spend a couple of hours and try to win over more Holiday Heroes supporters, or at least spread the word about us, we’ll show you how you can do this easily, and with a positive vibe.
- Ask the Holiday Heroes Volunteers Coordinator volunteers’ hotline: + 359 888 227 121.
- Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sign up on our website to become a volunteer.
- Follow us on Facebook to get the latest news.
- Join the Facebook page of Доброволци – Holiday Heroes.